Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Becoming Love Agape Style Requires Absolute Trust

Peter, on the beach after the cross, was asked by the Lord, "do you love me?" That’s a strange question for a God. Typically a God would expect fear or obedience but the question was "love," agape (selfless love), not phileo (brotherly love). Peter was asked twice about agape love and couldn't respond in the affirmative. Jesus finally asked if Peter loved Him like a brother, like a friend. I recently heard it suggested (Wayne Jacobson) that Peter's response, having just failed the biggest test of his life to date, was because of insecurity.

I used to think it was humility or self-deprecation. "No, I phileo you, love you like a friend." I thought I understood this because I too know I don't have Agape love for the Lord. I am motivated by self interest mostly. I like him a lot but often it is evident that I seem to like me more. I like the feeling I have when He is near. I think I do a lot out of rote or duty and usually when convenient or in the early morning when my day is fresh. I find it easy to choose my way in temptation or my strength in a tight spot. Trusting Him in those seasons is still over my head. The lies I buy into sound like this “maybe He is holding out on me” or “maybe I’m missing out on some thing” or “I can handle this” or “maybe he isn’t going to show up” or the root lie “does He love me?” (Is He there, does He even care, can I trust Him? Hmmm….sounds like a garden scene.

However, some how I think what Wayne said may be right. Peter was insecure. He didn’t have the right answer…the one the Lord wanted…the one God has wanted from us since, well since our fall in the garden. Loving Him with heart, soul, mind and strength. “Peter, do you agape me?” He knew he wasn’t trust worthy. It was a fresh, searing revelation for him. It may have been humility and brokenness. He was definitely honest… no pretense. He was insecure.

Is God asking for Agape from me? And if so, what will it take for me to get there?

How can I attain to that kind of security? Can I trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment