Friday, June 3, 2011

Sweet Bliss....39 years

39 years of Bliss...yeah baby it's been sweet bliss...

We were driving through the mountains the other day together experiencing a powerful thunder storm and also driving in silence....complete silence for at least a couple of hours.

We had come to an impasse.

Mary had been speaking to me with hurt in her voice about an area in our relationship that she thought needed some improvement...and I had been completely unresponsive....as I tried to explain myself and secure her in the process. I was thinking that after 39 years she should just learn to accept my humor and wonderful personality...even if it sometimes put her in poor light...in all fun of coarse. "Gawd made me funny honey".

We were returning to Charlotte after a sweet weekend with Dan Mohler and our daughter and family in Nashville and I had in a couple of situations been publicly enjoying my wife's perspective on geography...

which of coarse reminded her of other times like just recently when I had made a last minute decision that I thought would make for a fun story but a story in which she was the pun of the joke ... just in fun I thought...

Anyways as I was saying we were driving in silence... at an impasse after 39 blissful years...

The next morning I was driving in to work and heard the Holy Spirit speaking to me about my sweetheart..."Lloyd" he said. "Have I ever had fun at your expense?" "Isn't that an interesting question" I thought.

You know, on my 25 minute drive into work I couldn't think of a time and by the time I arrived I had totally bought into what my sweet bride of 39 years had been trying to address. There were some tears of repentance and a phone call and letter to my sweetie.

Mary, you truly have been an amazing person to live with. Thanks for loving me.
And thanks Holy Spirit for continuing to love me more and more into your image.

Like I was saying...39 years of bliss....sweet bliss.

1 comment: