Friday, April 6, 2012

Is God Color Blind?


Yes I know it may surprise you but I still sin on occasion. Sin happens! I'm not proud of it! But it does happen.

Some believe that we all sin in thought word and deed every day and that our approach to a Holy God is always first as sinners. I'm not in that school of thought any more. I now believe that I am a saint, (old things are past away, all things have became new!) and sainthood is always my starting place.

I am discovering that he looks at me with delight regardless of my failures or successes.

I no longer believe groveling in his presence is a sign of humility. In fact I think it might even embarrass him a little. I know that lie is what holds you powerless to change....by experience.

I now believe He has always loved me and has always seen me as his son from the moment I was conceived. Yes I fell off the wagon many times. In my story especially after repeated attempts at holiness and repeated failure the humble approach always started with groveling. Smiting my breast and proclaiming some version of "I am such an untrustworthy pitiful wretch.... Oh Most Holy and Gracious Heavenly Father I am so unworthy to eat the crumbs from off your table. I am such a screw up. Make me your slave".

Is God color blind? No. Does God hate sin? Yes.

Yet I find it so amazing how God comes to me when I am at my worst; as Jesus so often demonstrated throughout the gospels, and honors me seemingly as equals with seeming disregard for my failure.

I am discovering that he actually believes in the power of his own story!

What happened on the cross is really big!!

God now sees me with the value and honor that he placed there. This thing about adoption into His family and redemption is a really big deal and he actually relates with me from that reality, regardless of my failures, unbelief, fear or shame.

I am the pearl in the field that he felt was worth selling everything for…..the lost sheep, the lost coin.

It’s not that sin is unimportant. Sin is it’s own worst consequence and shame is the fruit. And repentance is just the acknowledgement that I am not capable to change on my own.

But as a son of a very good father and due to the value he placed in me on that cross 2,000 years ago, sin is now powerless to conform me to it’s image any longer. The child in me gets this. God now sees me and relates to me as his son in the full potential of his redemption.

I believe this is true!

Anthony Skinner sings- I was a thief. He said “I stole his heart.” I was ashamed. He called me “beautiful.”

When I fall into sin's trap and then allow it to dictate my identity I am blinding myself to my truest identity and the value that redemption has placed on me.....and subjecting myself to sin's power.

Redemption is the lens through which Christ now sees me. Redemption has restored me to my original created value as his child. Redemption is now the lens through which I see myself.

"My Father is very Fond of me!" I Behold him beholding me and smiling!

This means that I can now climb up in his lap at any time, even at my worst. Yes I am still flawed but a saint non the less and my sin is no longer my starting place.

God came disguised as a man to demonstrate his absolute desire for face time with us. Hahaha. Don't let fear, shame, self loathing or disgust cheat you out of the relationship he gave everything for.

Sainthood people, sainthood!

3 comments: