Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Children are the fruit of Intimacy


Intimacy- Intimacy begins with knowing…knowing and being known…

“Now Adam knew Eve his wife.” That’s the way I remember it as a kid and that was when we would snicker. Intimacy is knowing and being known. And the fruit of intimacy is children. Cool aye?

Peter was with Jesus after the Lord had miraculously produced an alarming amount of fish (153 to be exact) on the other side of the boat. Pete had stripped down and dove into the water leaving the others to tend to the fish. A big grin crossed Jesus face. It doesn’t say that but I imagine that’s what happened.

And then Jesus not wasting any time asks the boisterous, cocky, lovable, insecure Peter if he “loved” him, using the Greek word “agape” for the word we just interpret as love. In other words “Peter do you love me with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength?  Peter are you measuring up to the greatest of the old covenant commandments?”

Peter had a very interesting and honest response. He had just betrayed the Lord. He responded using the lesser Greek word for love “Phileo”, meaning “I love you as a brother.” This has captured my interest for years.

Then Jesus asked again the same question the same way, pressing the point. “Do you love me the way I love you? Do you love me first and foremost?” giving Peter an opening that he would have normally jumped into with both feet. This time the question made him very uncomfortable and he didn’t take the bait. This was a different Peter.

Peter ignored the question and responded with kind of a yes but actually a no. “No I don’t love you with my heart, soul, mind and strength.” Yes I love you but I just betrayed you; so no but yes I do love you as a brother.  You are my best friend”

You may think I am making a big deal out of the Greek words used. You may think this rather irrelevant but hang with me a minute because Jesus didn’t quit. He asked once more. But this time he lowered the expectation and used the lesser expression of the word we interpret as love.  “Peter, do you love me as a brother?”

And Peter responded, “Lord, you KNOW ALL things, you KNOW me.” “You know I can’t use that word for love.  I actually used it last week when I swore I would never betray you and the light has come on.” “I finally know that the bar is higher than I can jump.” “Religion is such an empty suit and I can no longer suffer the pretentious Bastard that I have lived with my whole life. I am done with pretense.”

“You know me.”

Wow! For the first time in Peter’s life he realized the bar was way higher than his pay grade. He was finally honest about himself and at the same time he was finally allowing Jesus into the very deepest part of his being. He was now known; and from that place of intimacy and security he no longer had the need to perform and pretend.

He knew that Jesus knew and that was OK. He finally came to grips with who he was and who he wasn’t and discovered it was all Jesus ever expected from him. It was right then and there that he was invited into an intimacy with God he had never known. Jesus loved him as he was and in this moment he came to actually believe it.

And this knowing and being known changed every thing.

God was actually approachable; without Peter having to dress up. No more false humility. No more bragging. No more shame. No more inferiority. No more superiority! He was now fully known and from Jesus perspective, ready to feed sheep.  Children are the fruit of intimacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment