Sunday, November 11, 2012

Keeping the commandments is a breeze!



I am fascinated with the Promises Jesus made in his short stint on earth….

Today in our small group I was reminded of this promise- “If you love me you will keep my commandments.” Isn’t that a fascinating promise? “If we get love the commandments are a breeze.”

And where does loving God come from? Can I drum it up?

Some of my brothers and sisters in the church have been concerned that maybe I am getting myself out of balance with all of this love talk. Greasy grace they call it. We need to talk about holiness they say. After all God is also a Holy God.

I suppose that could be a concern but “love growing cold” seems to be a bigger concern or maybe forgetting “first love”.

That’s a more legitimate concern. Because if I lose sight of the deep and real love of God for me, not keeping His commandments will be easy.

So my remedy for growing cold or losing first love is to immerse myself even more in the amazing love of God. This way you can’t lose for winning. Haha

If I forget my first love I will grow cold. And what is our first love? Am I to conjure up some original feelings or commitment? Paul said, “Herein is love, not that I have loved him but that he has loved me (first) and gave himself as the propitiation for my sin.”

Because of the cross I will never start from a position of brokenness again. Never!

Most of the church spends their time looking inward. I now am learning to live as a son. As a son I will never be broken again. I cannot unson myself. He loves me and has adopted me into his family and now every day I get to start there, as a son. 

I don’t start with a handicap! I’m no longer a wanna be. Because of Calvary I am the true legitimate son of a very good father!

Jesus first words to Mary were “Go tell my brothers that I ascend to my father and your father.” “Mission accomplished.”

“Go tell my brothers that the same relationship I enjoy with my father is now theirs to experience.” Hallelujah! (He may have said Hallelujah. It doesn’t say that but he still could have. I just felt like it was rightly placed when writing this and couldn’t help myself.)

He was on his way back to the Father and he just had to take a brief detour and stop off one more time at the tomb to pass this good news on to Mary. “Don’t slow me down Mary, got to go, but please pass this amazing news on to the brothers. It is finished; the work of Calvary is accomplished. My dad is now your dad. It’s all we have dreamed of since Adam and Eve screwed up. You will never be in the red again.”

“The fathers dream for sons and daughters is now fulfilled. I will now live in you and you will live in me and we will be one with the father.  You are my brothers and sisters and My relationship with dad is now Yours.”

“And now keeping the commandments is literally a breeze, my life in you, my breath in you, my Spirit within you…..again Hallelujah “

No comments:

Post a Comment